Brexit & Green Card Requirement

When driving abroad from the 1st January 2021 you will have to carry a physical Green Card in order to be driving legally. Failure to carry a Green Card may result in you being refused entry to countries outside of the UK.

A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance that proves that a UK motorist has the required third party insurance to drive within the EU. It proves that the driver is suitably insured to drive in these countries. The driver needs to have a physical copy of the Green Card when travelling, as digital copies are not currently accepted. However, the Green Card no longer has to be printed on green paper as it was previously and a black and white copy is now acceptable.

Following Brexit your insurer will need to issue a Green Card for you to travel. You must therefore advise us in advance of any overseas driving use, giving 4 weeks’ notice where possible please.

To request a Green Card in advance of your overseas travels please contact us to provide the appropriate information on (01278) 555040 or email